CHINA: COURT UPHOLDS DEATH SENTENCE ON MAN FOR ENDANGERING PUBLIC SECURITY WITH DANGEROUS METHODS
June 29, 2023:
Guangdong High People's Court upheld a ruling by a lower court that sentenced Wen Qingyun to death for endangering public security with dangerous methods in a final judgment on June 28, 2023. (Sources: Chinadaily, 28/06/2023)
The court ruled to dismiss Wen's appeal and upheld the original judgment, as Wen's criminal methods are extremely cruel with extremely serious consequences, subjective malignancy and great social harm.
Wen, 22, should be severely punished according to law, Guangdong High People's Court said in its verdict.
Meanwhile the original judgment has determined the facts clearly, the evidence is accurate and sufficient, the conviction is accurate, the sentencing is appropriate and the trial procedure is legal, said the verdict.
More than 100 people, including some victims and their family members, litigation representatives, appellant families, deputies of local National People's Congress and members of local Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference and the rest from all walks of life, attended the public hearing.
Earlier this year, Guangzhou Intermediate People's Court sentenced Wen to death and deprived of his political rights for life for endangering public security with dangerous methods during its first instance of trial.
Wen appealed after the verdict was passed.
The incident in question took place in Guangzhou's busy Tianhe district on the afternoon of Jan 11 when Wen rammed into crowded pedestrians and road facilities with his car, causing serious consequences — multiple deaths, injuries and property losses. Wen was later brought under control by police.