BAHRAIN: CRITICISM OVER DEATH SENTENCES REJECTED
July 20, 2020:
Bahrain has categorically rejected criticism of recent death sentences issued against two people convicted of murdering a policeman more than six years ago, Gulf News reported on 19 July 2020. (Sources: Gulf News, 19/07/2020)
“Such statements are based on false information and misleading claims sourced from groups with a clear history of systematically spreading baseless anti-Bahrain propaganda,” The Bahraini Foreign Ministry said.
Bahrain’s legal rules and procedures are fully consistent with international law and human rights principles, and its courts uphold all guarantees for defendants during all stages of the trial, the ministry added in a statement.
“Every stage of the two men’s trial and appeal process met all the requirements of due process and fair trial, including legal representation and the examination of all the evidence against them,” it said.
"In all, 15 judges reviewed the case in trial and appeal courts over a period of six years, and were unanimously convinced that the evidence against the accused proved their criminal responsibility."
The death penalty is imposed “only very rarely” in Bahrain, and conforms to international human rights law.
“The ministry notes that should the countries of the world, especially the Islamic countries, agree to take a position by reviewing or abolishing this punishment, the Kingdom will seriously consider addressing this issue,” the statement added.
Last week, Bahrain’s top appeals court confirmed for the second time death sentencing against two people convicted of premediated murder of a policeman in an attack in February 2014 after a lengthy legal process.