YEMEN: HOUTHI REBELS SENTENCE 4 REPORTERS TO DEATH
|Armed Houthis ride on the back of a truck in Sanaa, 08/04/2020
April 12, 2020:
A court run by Yemen's Houthi rebels on 11 April 2020 sentenced four journalists to death after their conviction on spying charges, their defense lawyer said. (Sources: AP, 11/04/2020)
The four were among a group of 10 journalists who were detained by the Iran-backed rebels and accused of “collaborating with the enemy,” in reference to the Saudi-led coalition that has been at war with the Houthis since 2015, lawyer Abdel-Majeed Sabra said.
Amnesty International last year called the charges “trumped-up.” The rights group said the detained reporters were beaten, deprived of water and forced to hold cinder blocks for several hours.
Sabra identified the four who were sentenced to death as Abdel-Khaleq Amran, Akram al-Walidi, Hareth Hamid and Tawfiq al-Mansouri.
The court in the rebel-held capital, Sanaa, convicted the other six journalists on similar charges, including “spreading false news and rumors” to aid the coalition, but ordered their release after time served, Sabra said.
He said the Houthis did not allow defense lawyers to attend the trial. The verdict can be appealed.
Nine journalists were arrested in a raid on a hotel in Sanaa in June 2015, and the 10th was detained at his home in Sanaa that August.