BAHRAIN: DEATH SENTENCES FOR ATTACK ON POLICE UPHELD
May 31, 2016: A Bahraini appeals court upheld death sentences for three Shiites convicted of killing three policemen in a bombing in the Sunni-ruled Gulf kingdom in 2014, a judicial source said.
The court also upheld life sentences for six other defendants convicted over what was the deadliest attack on security forces since a Shiite-led uprising was crushed in 2011.
A seventh defendant previously sentenced to life in jail did not appeal because he remains at large, the judicial source said.
A policeman from the United Arab Emirates was among the three officers killed in the Shiite village of Diah in March 2014.
He was the first foreign officer killed since Saudi-led troops and police were deployed to Bahrain to support its crackdown on the Arab Spring-inspired protests. (Sources: AFP, 31/05/2016)