IRAN: PROTESTER GETS DEATH SENTENCE
October 5, 2009: a man identified as Mohammad-Reza Ali-Zamani learnt from the Iranian authorities that he had been sentenced to death. The case was made public by the reformist website Mowjcamp, who reported that the man â€śwas transferred from Evin Jailsâ€™s sector 209, in Teheran, to Revolutionary Court number 15. Presiding judge Salabati told him of his death sentence.â€ť
A semi-official news agency, Mehr, said in August he was accused of fighting against the Islamic establishment and active membership of a "terrorist" monarchist association, and other crimes.
There have been no other reports of death sentences issued against people involved in huge demonstrations that erupted after the poll, which the opposition says was rigged to secure the re-election of hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Ali-Zamani was among more than 100 opposition supporters, including senior reformist figures, who were accused of fomenting post-election street unrest in a series of mass trials that got under way in August.
Mowjcamp said he had made "extensive confessions" during his trial. Reformist politicians have condemned the court sessions as "show trials."
In its August report, Mehr said he was also accused of propaganda activities against the Islamic establishment and taking part in rallies with the aim of undermining national security. It said he is 37 years old. (Sources: Reuters, 08/10/2009)