AFGHANISTAN: TWO EMPLOYEES OF DEFENSE MINISTRY SENTENCED TO DEATH
January 24, 2017: Two employees of Afghan defense ministry who were charged with various crimes, were sentenced to death, officials said.
Addressing a press conference on January 24 in Kabul, Dawlat Waziri, a spokesman for the Defense ministry said that the Attorney General's Office (AGO) is assessing over 1,500 corruption cases of the ministry.
"2,017 people are part of the mentioned [1,534] cases, including 241 officers, 252 Sergeants, 293 soldiers and 8 civilian employees," Dawlat said.
Dawlat also stressed that the ministry has averted embezzlement of 6.1 million Afghanis, and the amount has been attributed to the Afghan army soldiers, following a decree of President Ashraf Ghani.
Earlier on January 24, the Anti-Corruption Judicial Center (ACJC) sentenced two people to prison on charges of usurpation of public land.
The court also ruled them to hand over the usurped lands back to the government. (Sources: 1TVNews.af, 24/01/2017)