AFGHANISTAN: MAN SENTENCED TO DEATH FOR MURDERING 8 MEMBERS OF A FAMILY IN NANGARHAR
January 17, 2016: A man was sentenced to death by a primary court in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan for murdering eight members of a family.
The primary court judge in Jalalabad city announced the verdict during an open session on Sunday (January 17), convicting the man of having role in the brutal murder of eight members of a single family.
According to the court hearing, the man was found guilty based on evidences presented to the court despite the suspect had earlier confessed to his crime.
However, the convict ignored his role in the murder case and said he confessed after he was forced while he was in the custody of the security forces.
The brutal was carried out on 13th December by a group of men who were invited by the family including the convict who was sentenced to death by the primary court.
The mother of one of the victims said she saw the convict brutally murdering the family members by opening fire on them after they were poisoned.
The brutal murder of eight members of the family which included a man, two women and five children with the youngest victim reported to be only 2-month-old, sent shockwaves across Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, the convict has the right to appeal against the verdict issued by the primary court during the next court hearing in appellate and supreme courts.
At least five suspects including the man sentenced to death by the primary court were arrested by police in connection to the incident. (Sources: Khaama Press, 17/01/2016)