IRAQ: EIGHT MILITANTS SENTENCED TO DEATH FOR KARBALA BOMBINGS
April 18, 2012: Eight militants have been sentenced to death by a court in Karbala, Iraq, on terror charges, a local police spokesman said.
The eight men were found guilty by the Karbala Criminal Court of carrying out bombings in the city late last year that killed dozens of Shiite visitors and injured many more.
Abbas al-Ghanimi from Karbala police said: ‚ÄúThe court has issued a ruling to execute eight militants convicted under the penal code‚Äôs Article 4 of Terror for carrying out car bombings in central Karbala last year.‚ÄĚ
Al-Ghanimi said the convicts were ‚Äúcaught red-handed‚ÄĚ in a short period following the bombings. The twin bombings last year killed or injured at least 200 people, according to medical sources. (Sources: AKnews, 18/04/2012)