INDONESIA. BALI BOMBERS APPEALS REJECTED
|Ali Ghufron is escorted into court in Bali, October 2003
September 25, 2007: Indonesia's top court said it rejected final appeals of three Islamic militants convicted over the 2002 Bali bombings, bringing closer their executions for the attacks that killed 202 people, mostly foreign tourists.
Supreme Court spokesman Nurhadi, who goes by a single name, said two separate panels of judges had ruled against Ali Ghufron, alias Mukhlas, and Imam Samudra â€” on Aug. 23 and Sept. 19 respectively â€” because their lawyers provided no new evidence countering earlier verdicts at lower courts.
The court previously announced that it has also rejected an appeal by a third Bali bomber on death row, Gufron's younger brother, Amrozi Nurhasyim.
Nurhadi said the only way for the men to avoid the death penalty would be to ask Indonesia's president for clemency â€” something the militants have said they will not do because they stand by their actions.
Lawyers for the three men, who are awaiting a firing squad for the twin nightclub attacks, argued that the convictions were illegal because they were based on an anti-terror law that was applied retroactively.
"Their appeals were rejected," Nurhadi said, "They will face capital punishment."
Nurhadi did not explain why the Supreme Court had allowed retroactive use of the anti-terror law.
It was not immediately clear whether the three convicts have any further legal options to fight their death sentence. Nurhadi gave no indication when the executions would be carried out. (Sources: Ap, 25/09/2007)